Danish Version    

 The Author of This Site

  The Prelude to the Wars

The First  War 1848-51

The Battles 1848-51

The Siege of Fredericia

The Second  War 1864

 Dannevirke  Stronghold

 The Siege of Dybboel

The Attack on Fredericia

The Attack on Dybboel

The Attack on the Als

The Peace

The Consequences

 Dybboel 2010

 Als 2010



The Two Danish-Prussian Wars 1848-50 and 1864

The Stronghold of Fredericia and the rest of Jutland 1864

Since the stronghold Dannevirke was abandoned on February 5th1864, General Gerlach pulled the Danish army back to the redoubts at
 Dybbøl and the fortress of the city Fredericia.
A smaller force under General Hegermann-Lindencrone withdrew entirely up through Jutland to Mors.
 A part of the enemy Prussian army began a siege of Dybbøl, while a second force on Feb. 18 exceeded the Konge Aaen  and had then
 gone beyond the region the dispute and war was about, Schleswig and Holstein.
On March 8th the enemy retreated, and began the
 surrounding and siege of Fredericia.

 The Prussian army did not come all the way to the fortress moats and palisades, because the the meadows and marshes around the
 fortress could not be passed.
Only by proper roads they could reach into the town and the roads were completely dominated by the
 fortress artillery.
The outpost chain was still able to keep the enemy from the ramparts and the redoubts.
 The residents and the city knew that the whole city could be reached by the enemy artillery, and in the days until the bombardment all the
 men able to work, participated in building and repairing palisades, ramparts and redoubts.

 The actual bombardment began on Sunday morning, March 20th with 42 field guns placed in five batteries. The bombardment continued
March 21th. At 1 pm. General Wrangel stopped the bombardement and sent a written invitation to colonel Lunding on surrender.
The request was immediately refused by Lunding, and the bombardment continued. Towards evening the bombardement declined and
 died out completely during the night.

 The artillery in the fortress could not even reduce the shelling as in 1849, because the Danish artillery this time was not able to reach the
 Prussian batteries.

 Colonel Lunding decided not to return fire, but await a more propitious time. They have waited a onslaught on top of the bombardment,
 which did not occur. The outpost could after the next day's reconnaissance report,  that the Prussian artillery had been evacuated and
 the guns pulled away.

 The field guns, which the Prussian artillery used, did not cause nearly as much damage as real siege guns would have done and two
 days of bombardment was also a relatively short period.
 There were given 2,861 shots and the bombardment caused approx. 50
 wounded and dead.
The redoubts was not seriously damaged, but many of the buildings in the city were burned to the ground.
 The Garrison had to leave the camp hospital and patients was moved to the island of Funen.
 The Prussian troops withdrew to the area around Vejle, and later the troops were deployed in the attack  of the Dybboel stronghold,
 while the Austrian troops remained outside of Fredericia. Already on March 25th the fortress was in a significantly better defensive
 shape than before the bombing.
On this day the King, Christian the 9th, inspected the fortress, and at the same time Colonel Lunding
 was appointed lieutenant general.

 After the Dybbøl stronghold had fallen, there was a fear that Fredericia would share the same fate, so the King commanded Fredericia
be vacated. The Ministry og war granted his wish without examining the defense situation in Fredericia. On April 23th the supreme
 command got the order of evacuation of Fredericia.
The supreme command tried to protest without result, and on April 26thLunding
 got the order to abandon the fortress.

 He was completely baffled after for some months having improved the fortress. He was of the opinion,  that it was at the defense level,
 it should be. The decision was not to change, and on April 29th at midnight, the last soldier left the city. The following day, at noon, the
 Austrian troops occupied the city.

                                        The Danish-Prussian Wars 1849-51. Austrian Troops in Fredericia,
                                          Austrian troops in i Fredericia

The Danish-Prussian Wars 1849-51. Austrian Troops on the Redoubts of Frredericia

 As the fighting raged around Dybboel, the fourth division, which accounted for most of the rest of the Danish army, pulled slowly back
 up through Northern Jutland.
The main force ended up at the island og Mors, where the commander General Hegermann-Lindencrone in
 the time before the final attack on Dybboel   tried some minor advances enabling him to rescue the besieged troops at Dybboel.
However, he was forced to stay up north of the fjord Linfjorden while the minister of war denied him reinforcements and supplies from

 The battle of Lundby

 At the time of the Battle of Lundby, Jutland was effectively abandoned and the remaining forces withdrew to the north of the Limfjord and
 were about to be shipped from the port of Frederikshavn.

 The 1. Regiment had been left in the town Nørresundby to blur the embarkation of the troops as long as possible. If the opportunity
 presented itself and it could be done without excessive risk, they had to advance to the south.

 On July 1st  thePrussians had sent three reconnaissance commands northward from Hobro. The Danish fifth company had with 160 men
 moved south towards Ellidshøj where they supposed to find one of the enemy units in theit camp.
These, however, had enemy troops
 again had left the area.
Only next morning  the 5th company observed a vehicle convoy in Lundby. They  attempted a frontal bayonet
 charge down a long hillside, but stopped 20 feet in front of the earth dike the Prussians were in cover behind.
The battle resulted in major
 Danish losses.

 32 dead, 44 wounded, 20 captured and 2 missing - a total of 98 - compared with just 3 wounded Prussians. The Prussians chose not to
 pursue the remaining Danes.
Instead they broke up and went to Hobro, carrying both their own and the Danish wounded.


                                                     The battle at Lundby

Den katastrofale kamp ved Lundby 1864

 This was the irretrievable last battle of the second Danish-Prussian war, and symptomatic it ended up also disastrous for the Danish army.
Unfortunately, it also said to have been entirely unnecessary. Later in the summer, the Government also chose to evacuate Northern
 Jutland, and all of Jutland was from then occupied by the Prussians and Austrians, who tormented the peasants with arbitrary periodic
 looting  of food and horses.